Nicky Merrick: Event Photographer to Pole Wear – A Creative Journey ss017
Today on the Stitchery Stories podcast, Nicky Merrick Shares Her Life In Fabric & Thread. She chats with Susan Weeks about her creative journey from an event photographer at pagan ceremonies, to building great success designing and making pole dancing costumes. And all the while managing her health after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. This is such a wonderful story from a very inspiring lady.
Continue reading to discover the highlights of our chat and to see examples of Nicky’s work.
Susan chats with Nicky about:
- Creating a show stopper for upcoming pole wear events
- Using fabulous modern materials and methods
- Pagan ceremonies & nature inspired her beautiful cloaks
- Keeping the same ‘alternative’ niche audience and serving them with a different business
- Adapting her business opportunities to manage her health
- A childhood passion for dance and designing her own costumes for her mum to make, has come full circle
- Building a successful pole wear business on a chance remark
- The influence of mum, tutors and Jane White Couture Tuition
- Her thoughts on design piracy
- The sneakiness of passing off a UFO onto mum!
- Managing a full and busy life and business, with homeschooling, as well as supporting her husband’s 2 businesses!
- The perceptions and treatment by society of people with disabilities and her determination to prove them wrong
Jane White Couture Tuition: